Sunday, August 18, 2019

GREEN IGUANA

Dale holding Gomez.
Back in 2010, I traveled to Belize and was introduced to the Iguana. I even visited an iguana hatchery that was established because the population was dwindling due to the use as a food source. They were a very cool looking animal and I enjoyed learning about them, even got to hold one.

Fast forward three years. I relocated to Key West, Florida. Green Iguanas live here too. When you live with them in your backyard, your attitude toward them changes drastically. They are messy and destructive. All they do is eat and poop. They eat all your beautiful flower and poop them back out on your porch. Disgusting. 

They have become so bad, the FWC and the state of Florida has waged war on them. They now encourage homeowner to humanely kill green iguanas on their property. Iguanas have no natural enemy, so the population is exploding.

Yes, you can eat them, but after watching a YouTube video on how to clean one, it just seemed like a lot of work for very little meat. Someone even wrote a cookbook for preparing a meal with iguana meat. I think I will pass. However, if someone else caught, killed, dressed and cooked one, I would eat it! 

There might be a market for the skin... wallets, belts, boots? That might be an interesting new venture!


No comments:

Post a Comment