Saturday, April 7, 2012


Zoe... may she rest in peace... had a built-in fairlead. It looked really cool and I wanted TARDIS to have one too. I took a 1 3/8 inch bit and drilled the hole. I didn't know what angle was best, so I just started drilling and hoped for the best. I didn't realize I was digging into the deck about halfway through, so I used my extension to finish.

It turned out to be a very clean trench. I was pleased. The 1" PVC was trimmed to the right length and then shaped before I glued it into place. I thought it would be easier this way.

After the PVC was glued in, I applied 4 layers of fiberglass and then faired it. Some more sanding it needed for a smooth finish. My neighbor stopped by yesterday, and then a friend came over, so my sanding was cut short. I felt like I needed to post my progress this morning, so the finished product will be posted at a later date.

Sunday, April 1, 2012


I've been working on the tiller. It is 7 layers of solid lumber glued and clamped. I didn't think I could handle all 7 at one time, so I did 2 or 3 at a time. It turned out nice.

The handrails for either side of the companionway are now cut and ready for the finish.