For months now, I've been working on the bulkheads, and just imagining what it will look like when it's finished. This past week, my parents came down to see us. My mother said, "I want to see your boat." I was a bit ashamed that it didn't resemble a boat at all. Instead, it was a bunch of pieces laying around. But, today, the sides went on and it looks like a boat instead of a bunch of pieces. It is very exciting!
I couldn't wait until I had help. Where there's a will, there's a way. And, I figured out that way. One side was clamped to our workmate and the other side clamped to a saw table. A line was wrapped around both sides at the bow to hold them in place. Another line was wrapped around both sides at the stern, and then #3 bulkhead was glued and nailed.
To help hold the bulkhead in place, I hot glued a couple of small blocks of wood to more easily position the bulkhead. After the nails are in, the block can be knocked off with a tap from the hammer. This can only be done if the plywood has been coated with epoxy. I tested bare plywood using hot glue. When I pulled the two pieces apart, some of the plywood was ripped off. Good to know.
Bending the sides to fit was not that hard, until I came to the stem. I used every clamp and tie-down we had, and still needed more. So, we made a trip to Harbor Freight, and added two 24" bar clamps to our collection. You can never have too many clamps.