Monday, March 30, 2015


The plans call for an exterior chine log. They are on and everything has been faired. The bottom goes on in two sections, with a butt plate holding them together. Done! It went on very easy, I didn't need help.

The bottom is 1/2 inch plywood. I want this boat to last and to be durable. So, I am putting two layers of glass on the bottom. Paradox called for three layers, but I think two will be fine for this boat. The plans also call for a stiffener to be fastened to the bottom. I will attach that over the glass.

It is almost April, which means the "snowbirds" start to head back home. They usually show up in November and December, and stay until April. Nearly everyone I have met at the Sailing Club, is a snowbird. I was told the place is like a ghost town in the summer.

Sunday, March 15, 2015


The wales were attached, and it was time to roll her over to work on the bottom. There happen to be several guys working on the roof of the clubhouse. Walter gathered three of them and headed over to my little corner. Within seconds they had her turned upside down. At this point, she is not very heavy.

Tomorrow, the bottom work begins.

Thursday, March 12, 2015


When your build location is a little cramped and the ground not perfectly even, you have to get creative. I do not have 16' of level ground area to glue the scarphs on the wales. I needed a jig that would hold the scarph cuts together while the epoxy cured. This is what I came up with.

I took a plywood scrap and screwed a scrap 2x4 to it, making sure that they were square. I then clamped my glued wales to this jig, holding them straight while they cure. I should have perfectly straight... 3/4" x 1 1/2" x 16' lumber.

The plans are not specific when it comes to the shaping of the rudder, so we will see how this works.

With the time change, I will have another hour of daylight after work. This will help with the progress of this build.

Wednesday, March 4, 2015


FINALLY, she is 3D.  Did the dry fit.  All the bevels on the bulkheads were perfect... except one. A quick run down the side of the last bulkhead with the jigsaw, and then it was perfect too. I have glued up the two aft bulkheads. It was dark and I was tired, so I gathered my things and came home.

I am very pleased with how easy she went together. And I do like her shape.