Saturday, October 31, 2015
The upper leeboard guard is ready for the slot to be cut to accommodate the leeboard. I want a good fit, so I need to finish the leeboard to get an exact measurement, because I will be glassing it. I want to pour the lead in the leeboard and rudder at the same time. It's been one of those, "before I can do this, I have to do that".
Well, I just this week cut out the rudder. Okay, let me correct that. I had started shaping a rudder. I stood back one day to admire it, when all the sudden, I realized I had beveled the wrong edge. I felt really stupid and went on to build something else. The time has come that I must re-make the rudder.
Next came the smelting lead for the weight. Chuck has made 5 lb fishing weights, and has this little handy dandy smelting pot. We pulled it down, dusted it off and plugged it in. It works! It's been several years since I've done this, but it I had no trouble, and was expecting the same experience this time. Boy was I wrong. I'm not sure what the difference is, but I had a frustrating afternoon.
After three attempts, I decided to go down the road to the beach and get me some sand. Then I put a layer of aluminum foil down, laid the rudder on top of this. The sand formed to the shape of the rudder, so there was no leaks. I was concerned that the pot was not big enough to hold the amount needed to fill the hole. There was lead to spare. I will have to do measuring and math to make sure the pot will hold enough lead for the leeboard.
Tomorrow I will tackle the leeboard.