Monday, August 1, 2016

FIRST SOLO SAIL


This weekend, I took Idris out by myself. I prefer to have company, it's just more fun. But, I wanted out on the water, so I went. This was also the first time I had used a proper ramp and unloaded and loaded without help. In Key West, we had a place literally around the corner that was used for putting boats in the water. It was simply a clearing in the mangroves next to a canal with the perfect slope.


I got Idris off the trailer without problems. Sailed away from the dock without problems. The wind was behind me, and very light. Not making any speed at all, I thought I would start my new outboard, it needs to be broken in anyway. I pulled, and pulled, and pulled.... couldn't get it started. Frustrating. 

I sailed for a little while, catching a few good gusts that made it worth making the trip out there. When I turned around back toward the dock, I could see a rain cloud in the distance. Moving very slow, I was hoping to catch some wind from the cloud. The wind shifted and increased, filling my sail and we took off. This made me smile. I felt a few sprinkles on my face, but I didn't care. My sail was full, I could hear the water lapping against the hull. I was happy. Looking south, I saw rain and it was close. I was making good time and thought I could make it to the dock before it got to me, and I did.

As soon as I started packing her up, it started pouring. I was immediately drenched, so I just kept at it. It was a good day. I proved to myself that I am capable of taking my boat out without help. Today, I will figure out why I couldn't get the motor started. Hopefully, it is the motor and can be corrected.... and the problem is not ME.




No comments:

Post a Comment