Sunday, November 12, 2017

WHO'S WHO IN KEY WEST


Today, I hopped on my bike and took off for an afternoon of cruising Key West. After the beach, a stop at Flying Monkey for my favorite beverage, I headed toward home and found myself at the cemetery. You can tell a lot about the local families by the cemetery.


For instance, it was quite clear that the Spottswood family have a big presence in Key West. And they are the only plot that has landscaping.

And now I know where several streets get there name. Albury, Williams, White, Ashby, Peacon...and the list goes on and on. The headstone design has changed drastically since the turn of the century. I guess tree trunks were a popular design back then. I live on Fogarty Ave, there is bar and restaurant with the same name. I'm guessing there must be money there.



This one got away!
There is a cemetery within a cemetery. I guess the fence is to keep the protestants out.
The path is bricked to the Toppino Family Mausoleum. I walked around to the front and was in awe!

Toppino Family Mausoleum. There are a pair of iron gates in the front.
Inside the Toppino mausoleum is nicer than my apartment!

"Ahhh, we can make a path here, just pave around it!"
I found the Jewish cemetery too. Had to come home and
 google about all the rocks laying everywhere.
My favorite.
There are many thoughts about death... where you go after death and how people grieve. A funeral service is for the ones left behind, not for the dead. Many people need this for closure. Personally, I don't care what happens after I'm gone... because I will be gone, and not really a part of it. I do think a Viking funeral would be pretty awesome though.

No comments:

Post a Comment