Thursday, August 29, 2019

WATCHING DORIAN

AUGUST 29, 2019
As many of you know, I live on an island and work at a hardware store. With the threat of a hurricane, comes the panic to prepare for it. It's not known exactly where Hurricane Dorian will go, but it's possible that we will get some weather. The memory of Hurricane IRMA is fresh in our minds, with many vacant lots and a few blue tarps still on roofs.

Today was the day everyone decided it was time to start preparing, just in case. First it was the gas cans flying off the shelf. We have only a handful of one gallon cans left. Generators were very popular this afternoon, with only 3 or 4 left. I'm guessing the hurricane shutters will be the topic of tomorrow.

What are my plans? How have I prepared for a possible hurricane? I treat it like camping, and prepare accordingly. My pantry is full of canned food. I have plenty of water. I have a Luci light which does not need batteries, and I have a combination flashlight/radio/charger that is powered by crank. Again not needing batteries. The only thing I didn't acquire since IRMA is a battery operated fan. I just didn't want to spend the money. Next time the power is out for an extended period of time, I will probably regret that decision.

So, the watch continues, and the murmurs of "Will you evacuate?" are heard. And the answer is NO.

No comments:

Post a Comment