Monday, November 1, 2021

ACORN SPREAD

 It definitely feels like fall, with the acorns falling from my big oak tree. I read where a mature oak tree can produce up to 10,000 acorns in a season. One day I was looking at them covering my back yard, and thinking there is surely a use for them, other than fall decorations. I went to Google and found recipes for this plentiful nut. I didn't want to go to the trouble of making them into flour, but I did find I could make a spread. I was intrigued, I must try it.


The process is length, but I gathered some acorns and went to work. They must be boiled, changing the water three or four times, to remove the tannin. Once this was done, I simmered in apple juice for 20 minutes. Acorns have very little oil, so I added vegetable oil and sugar. I tasted it... it needs something. A dollop of peanut butter and a squirt of chocolate syrup, then processed until it resembled something that was spreadable.


My brother, sister-in-law and mother were my taste testers. They didn't make a face when they tasted it. That's a good sign. It has a slight hazelnut taste. It's one of those foods that you have to acquire a taste for. My brother said he wanted a small container of it, and I have about a cup of the spread. I will have this on my toast for breakfast, but I doubt I will make more. 

Does anyone have a recipe they like for acorns? Let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment