Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Slow and steady

One day, I had a new sail I'd made for iDuck spread out on the lawn to attach to the yard and boom. My neighbor came across the street and was asking me about the little boat. His comment was, "I could never do anything like that, I would mess it up." It's a good thing I didn't have that attitude, we would not have these boats.

Before I built iDuck, I had never tried to build a boat. We don't have a big shop with fancy tools. Our tools are just basic stuff you can buy at Harbor Freight or one of the big box stores, some old and some new. But, if one has the "want to", they can get a boat built and have a lot of fun.

If you are just joining in, this past weekend, I was to install the starboard sheer clamp and the chine logs. The sheer clamp went on very easily. After turning the paradox upside-down, the curve was very scary. "How am I going to bend the chine log to that shape?" Since I didn't have the tools handy to steam them, and it was late in the afternoon, I decided I would see just how much I could bend them without hearing those feared creaking noised that wood can make. Apparently, not much. So, I laid awake for hours that night designing in my head, the steamer that I would build.

It is now Tuesday morning (cough, cough, snort), and I have not been as productive as I had hoped. But, I have figured out the design for my steamer, and will try to get the steaming done tonight. Tomorrow, I will post my progress with pictures.

"Be bold and courageous. When you look back on your life, you'll regret the things you didn't do more than the ones you did." H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment