Tuesday, October 16, 2012

THINGS I’VE LEARNED…


…while living aboard.

I knew that living aboard was going to be different than living in a house.  I also knew I would have to learn to do everyday things differently.  I was up for the challenge, and was ready for the adventure.  It has been two weeks since I moved aboard The Flatulence. (sorry Stan, I have not christened her with a new name yet.)  Here are a few things I’ve learned.

MEALS:

~ You can eat Progresso Beef Soup right out of the can without heating it up, and it tastes just as good.
~ Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are pretty tasty and will hold you for several hours.
You can put just about anything on bread and make a sandwich out of it.
  




THINGS I’VE LEARNED TO DO DIFFERENTLY:

~ Wash my dishes in the cockpit using a garden hose
Wake up very early to do anything on the internet, otherwise, I will not be able to connect
~ Not drink too much after 7 pm
~ Keep quarters for the laundry






WHAT I MISS:
 
~ The toilet being just a few steps away first thing in the morning
~ Having a garage with all my tools nearby
~ Ice readily available











ADVANTAGES:

~ Low rent
~ Living 5 minutes from work
~ Having a pool just down the sidewalk
~ My bed rocks me to sleep
~ NOT having to clean my bathroom
~ NOT having to mow my lawn

I still haven't moved in completely.  The galley is getting updated; the cabinet refinished and I will build a spice rack to go above it.  My clothes are still in a suitcase that lives in the V-berth.  Towels for curtains.  The new companionway hatch and rails will be installed in a few days.  There are a lot of things I want to do.  The hull needs some work done, and I will get started on that as soon as I get back from my trip.  Yes, my brother and I are going on a "brother/sister" trip to Belize.  I bought a waterproof camera today, so there will be many pictures to share when I get back.  

No comments:

Post a Comment