Sunday, May 18, 2014

NEW POSITION

My first day back to work after vacation, I approach the time clock. My boss tells me that my other boss wants to see me after I clock in. This is not just my boss, it is one of the owners of the business. My first thought was, "Oh crap, what did I do wrong! I'm in trouble for taking time off." Come to find out, a position opened in the business office. The Accounts Receivable position. I was shocked, and a little hesitant to take it, but there was a raise involved. Of course I accepted it.

I have been working in the business office for a couple weeks now. The best thing about this new position..don't have to wear the ugly white T-shirt anymore. I can wear anything I want to (as long as it doesn't have a bar on it), but that means I have one more decision to make right after getting out of bed. I think I can handle that.

Not only do I handle the accounts receivable, I take care of the in-house accounts, payroll, balancing the registers, updating sale signs, and misc. projects. Another responsibility that comes with this position, I get custody of "the children". Who are the children? The paint department, but I love them all.

There are many personalities in the store, and it is a good place to work. We have many "long-timers", the longest being the Store Manager... 36 years. Next in line, in the Special Orders office, 19, 17 & 12 years. Eight other employees have over 7 years with the company, and I'm sure they are "long-timers" also.

But, we also have the "short-timers", as they are called. Customer service is strongly stressed, and it is a fast-paced store. The majority of our sales are workers just trying to get a part for their job, and they want in and out as fast as possible. This work environment is not for everybody.

I started out at the register, was there for about 5 months. Then I was asked to balance the registers also. I enjoyed that, getting away from the register for 1 1/2 hours in the morning. A couple months ago, I was pulled from the register and started receiving deliveries. I really liked this better, but I did miss seeing our regular customers. Now, I've moved upstairs in the business office.

My only request before employment at Strunk Ace Hardware.... I need my weekends off. I have stood firm, and I've been granted my wish. I want to enjoy life, take those weekends on the water. Life is too short. Take every opportunity to do something fun, don't pass it up.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"BE BOLD AND COURAGEOUS. WHEN YOU LOOK BACK ON YOUR LIFE, YOU WILL REGRET THE THINGS YOU DIDN'T DO, MORE THAN THE ONES YOU DID."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment