Sunday, September 27, 2015

IF IT WAS EASY....

EVERYBODY WOULD LIVE IN KEY WEST!


I've been asked to let everyone know what it's like to live in Key West, Florida. First thing that comes to mind, it's very expensive. As far as housing, you either have at least one roommate, or two jobs, or both.

When I first landed here, I was shocked at the price of rental property. The last house I rented in Texas, was a four bedroom, 2 bath home with a double car garage and carport... and I paid $995 a month. In Key West, I had to settle for a "room" with kitchen privileges for $800 a month. Two years later, a room will run you $900-$1000 a month. Location, location, location.

"If you have a waiting list for your extra bedroom, you live in Conch Country."

Shopping is not easy, Key West is geared for tourist... with tourist prices. Some shops do give locals a discount, and that helps. Most people I know do all their shopping online. Amazon is great for finding just about everything. In a couple weeks, I will be traveling to Lubbock, Texas to visit family. I have already started a list of things I want to get while I am there.

And don't even get me started on the cost of airfare from here to Lubbock, TX. I tried to get a flight for December, and the price when up $300 while I was on the phone trying to book the flight. I settled for going this month. I will be changing planes twice, and it will take me about 10 hours.

There are sacrifices to living in Key West, but the pros far outweigh the cons!




No comments:

Post a Comment