Sunday, September 20, 2015

YOU HAVE TO TAKE CHANCES....

FOR THE THINGS YOU CARE ABOUT.

For about a year now, Chuck has been after me to go into business for myself. The canvas and cushion business. My head knows that there is a lot of business out here, but I have a problem letting go of security. Security of knowing I have a paycheck next, and every wednesday direct deposited into my checking account. Do I like sitting behind a computer, calling people to pay their bill, relieving cashiers at the register, stocking shelves when I run out of things to do in the accounting department? NO.

Chuck travels a lot, and would like for me to go with him. At the present, I can't take off on a whim and fly to Costa Rica... yes, he is gone to Costa Rica and I was invited. But, this employee couldn't leave the country on a whim. Damn it!

Here is my dilemma; take a chance and go into business for myself and have the freedom to travel and go on sailing adventures ... or be stuck in an office and put in requests for vacations. I am only four years away from early retirement. I want to take two weeks off next June for the Texas 200,  go to Oklahoma next October... I want to enjoy life, have fun.

I say all this after consuming half a bottle of wine. My son says, "In Vino Veritas"... In wine there is truth. I just watched a movie, and one of the lines, " You have to take chances for the things you care about." Is this an omen? LOL I do so wish I was in Costa Rica right now!  Security, or Freedom? What would you choose?


2 comments:

  1. Lezlie- in 1981 my then wife and I resigned from jobs that paid us 35k apiece, climbed on a sailboat ( with teen aged son) and went cruising. 3 years later, moved to farm in east Texas and I started working for myself - repairing furniture and boats. I've never worked for another person since

    You know what I do. You've seen it. And I know what you can do- I have a sailcover you made me (well, sold that boat but still). In fact, you crank up your shop and I have business for you

    You had no problems selling Tardis, and the 29, and going sailing

    You are a VERY capable woman, and yes, it might get iffy at times. I've worked all night finishing something so I could get paid, and pay a bill.

    GO FOR IT

    ReplyDelete
  2. You say there's a market, and you have the skills. Make 'em pay in advance (avoiding the biggest hassle), and don't quit your day job until you're off the ground.

    ReplyDelete