Tuesday, May 24, 2016

LIVING ALONE

Looking back on my life, it seems that I have nearly always lived with someone. Whether it was with my parent, my spouse, my child or a roommate. I have rarely lived alone. At present, I am living alone. It feels different to come home to an empty house, and not expecting someone to arrive later.



I know exactly what is in my refrigerator and pantry. No learning bathroom or laundry schedules.  Not responsible for someone else's laundry. No phone calls letting someone know your whereabouts if you deviate from your normal routine. No sticky note on the kitchen sink reminding everyone of kitchen etiquette. No tiptoeing around the house because someone is trying to nap between their two jobs.


But all this freedom comes at a price. There is no, "How was your day?" And I eat alone. I've been asked if I would ever marry again, and I seriously doubt that I would. My track record with relationships has not been the best. Yep, I need this time alone for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment