Sunday, October 14, 2018

PADDLING NEW ROUTES

A friend recommended this paddling guide. There is a list of launch sites and routes. Each route gives you details, such as the length of the route and what you might see.

My goal is to paddle every route. This weekend, my friend Sheri and I paddled ROUTE #14. The water was like glass and it was a very easy and relaxing 3 mile paddle. The hardest part of this route was the launch. I'm not as agile as I once was, so boarding the kayak is not graceful. I knew the day would come when I turned over my kayak, and this was that day. 

This route is in very shallow water, and we did not expect to see all the fish that we did. We scared many nurse sharks, hammerhead sharks, stingrays, a few barracuda and saw a couple tarpon in the deeper section of the route. 

This guy never moved, just posed for his picture, and let Sheri pass right next to him.

It was a beautiful morning. Route #14... check.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Route 14 starts at the causeway between Middle Torch Key and Big Torch Key. It circumnavigates the island west of Middle Torch Key.

      Delete