Friday, December 6, 2019

LEZLIE'S BIG ADVENTURE


There comes a time in our lives that we need to be closer to family. I have no family in Key West, most are in Texas. I made the decision to move closer to them, so that began the big adventure. The culling of stuff I could live without or easily replace began. I wanted this to be as easy a move as possible, and the cheapest too. 

My Explorer has been running okay, my concern was for the boat trailer. The wheel bearings on one side were replace back in February, but the other side needed to be replaced for sure. I have used Hitch King for the original rebuild and then the new bearing. So I took off the hub and drove to the last location of the business. All I found was an empty lot and a FOR RENT sign on the fence. Not going to lie… I had a moment of panic. Pulling out my phone, I quickly looked up the business and found PERMANENTLY CLOSED in red by the listing. I am really in a panic now! Hopeful someone would answer, I clicked on the phone number next to CLOSED… and someone answered and all was right in my world again. I drove to the new location and the guy replaced the bearings, and gave me an extra cap. I asked how much I owed him and he replied, “Five dollars”. I thought I misunderstood, and asked again. He said, “Did you think it would be more?” I didn’t want him to know the previous owner of the business charged $50 for the same thing. I handed him the five dollars and quickly left before he decided he hadn’t charged enough. The hub and wheel was replaced, the spare was aired up, and the trailer was ready to roll.



The next week of so was constant pack, throw away, take to Salvation Army or put on the curb. On December 1, I pulled out and drove out of Key West. The traffic was not heavy until I reached Orlando. Our average speed was about 20mph for it seemed like an eternity. When I reached a rest stop just outside of Lake City, Florida, I pulled in. It was getting later, and I couldn’t creep along anymore. My Explorer and trailer were handling the all day drive just fine…. I thought. But wait...there's more. Stay turned for the next episode of Lezlie's Big Adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment