Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Rudder & Rudder Stock

The rudder pivots on the rudder stock, giving you the ability to sail in shallow water and to beach her. Because of this, the rudder needs some extra weight to keep it from wanting to float. I poured lead into a notch cut in the back of the rudder, close to the bottom. Screws were screwed into the edge of the notch to hold the lead firmly in place. I forgot to take a picture before I poured the lead, so you will just have to believe me when I say they are in there. :-)

After the lead was poured and cooled, I had to file a few high places and fill a few low places. The rudder will be fiberglassed after it is faired.



The rudder stock, to the left, was constructed by gluing together two 3/4 inch plywood. A 5/8 inch bronze rod is epoxied into a hole drilled the length of the forward part of the stock. This is the pintle that will pivot in the gudgeon that I have not built yet. The upper pintle and gudgeon will be purchased from Duckworks.

My work has slowed to a crawl, as I have had many distractions. I hope to finish the plumbing soon, so I can glue the lids on the water tanks. So many things to do!







No comments:

Post a Comment