Monday, August 15, 2011

PARADOX




"What made you want to build a boat?"

How many times have I heard that question! Well, I started sailing about three and a half years ago. The boat I learned to sail on was a 41' Irwin ketch. Nice! About two years ago, I stumbled across a sailboat called a Paradox. This 14' sailboat is what is called a coastal cruiser. Well built, lots of storage for it's size, and can sail in shallow waters. I thought to myself, I WANT ONE! But, I had never built a boat before. In order to learn some building skills, I built an 8' dingy called a PDRacer. During this build, I learned about glues, epoxy, fiberglass, rudders, leeboards and the appropriate uses of different tools. Sailing this little boat is a blast.

The building of my paradox, TARDIS, has been a challenge. When I started, I didn't know the level of difficulty, but was brave enough to try. The only way I have been able to accomplish what I've done so far, is with the moral support from Dale. He believed that I could do it, even when I had doubts.

My neighbors know me as the woman that spends most of her time in the garage. A few have stopped by to see what I'm building. The FedEx man has started stopping to see the progress, he seems to be just as excited about the build as I am. The guys at Dale's work are watching the progress via this blog. There are a lot of people from all over the world that check in to see how the build is going. This has been a big undertaking for me. A little more than I thought it would be. But, it has been good for me. This journey has built within me, confidence and pride.


Back in the early 90's, my biological father, Jim Prather, built a power boat, Princess Dana. I did not get to witness the build, but saw it after it's completion. At his funeral, this was the main topic of his accomplishments. He owned a sheet metal shop, so of course the boat was constructed of metal.











m/v Princess Dana

I like to build things, create useful things. My brother said I got the boat building gene from Jim Prather. I guess maybe I did. When TARDIS is completed, and I know her well, she and I will have many adventures. My first big adventure; the Bahamas. You will all be able to read about my trips. They will be posted here. But first... I have to finish her. So, I better get off this computer and get back to the garage and get to work! Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment