Friday, April 26, 2013

TO FINISH...

...OR NOT TO FINISH, that is the question.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FINISHER- one who takes a stitched needlepoint piece and makes it into a finished and useable product, such as an ornament, pillow, stand-up doll, frame... the list could go on forever. 


The other day, while at work, I ran across a booklet advertising artwork in Key West. Toward the back of the booklet, I saw a needlepoint store. I was a little surprised to see a store here. I couldn't resist stopping by the store on my way to work yesterday morning. It is a small shop located in the ground floor of a beautiful house with a white picket fence. Very cute. 

The owner, Julie Pischke paints canvas and ships them all over the country. Her designs, as you can guess, have an island theme.

When asked, "Do you stitch?"... I told her of my history with needlepoint stores and finishing. I worked for Pocket Full of Stitches in Lubbock for 6 years, and was a finisher for 17 years. I closed my business a couple years ago, because I suffered burnout. Every year, the last three months before Christmas were a nightmare for me, because I was working another job also. Trying to make my Christmas deadline was very stressful, I didn't get much sleep, and could not enjoy the holiday season.

When I moved onto my boat, I threw away ALL of the photos of my work, my patterns and notes from my finishing business. I got rid of everything, because I vowed to NEVER finish again.

But, when she told me that she was interested in having a local finisher, my mind started racing... extra money! As I walked out of her shop and into the sunlight, the reality of a commitment to the store hit me. I walked to my bike talking to myself like many of the homeless I see wondering the streets of Key West.

Me: Lezlie, don't even think of getting back in the business.
Me: Yes, but it would be extra money. You said, just last week, you needed to make more money.
Me: But, remember how you dreaded your finish work? Remember?
Me: It wouldn't have to be that way. That shop is not that busy. There wouldn't be that much business...

So, see, I have this inner struggle going on. I wonder who will win?

1 comment:

  1. I know the feeling! :) I've done that conversations with myself many times! :D

    ReplyDelete